About Student Outreach
Activities in 2009
Committee activities for summer students:
- The NE Student Outreach Committee organized the NE Summer Student Seminar Series in June-July 2009 for summer students at NE or other Argonne Divisions. For details, visit: 2009 NE Summer Student Seminar Series
- Summer students had the opportunity to attend guided tours of some of the NE Division facilities. For more information: 2009 Guided Tours for Summer Students
Committee activities for college students:
- Argonne participated in the 2009 American Nuclear Society Student Conference, "Nuclear Engineers - Reacting to Power the World", hosted by the ANS Student Chapter at the University of Florida April 1-5. See 2009 ANS National Student Conference for details.
- A committee member conducted tours of Argonne’s Nuclear Energy exhibit for eight students from a University of Chicago course on energy generation (March 6) and for 27 students from the Women in Science and Engineering residential program at the University of Wisconsin (April 4).
- On March 26, a committee member visited Dominican University in River Forest, Ill. and made a presentation on women in nuclear engineering careers to the class, “History of Women in Leadership”, part of the Master of Science in Organizational Leadership program at Dominican.
Recent committee activities for high school students:
- On April 2, Argonne once again offered the Science Careers in Search of Women conference for high school students and their teachers, and NE’s Student Outreach Committee supported the conference in several ways. Two NE staff members organized the tours of Argonne research facilities, and three other staff members conducted a health physics demonstration and gave a tour of Argonne’s Nuclear Energy exhibit. Several of these same staff members served as discussion leaders during the conference luncheon, “Lunch with a Scientist”, discussing technical career paths with students over lunch, and at the afternoon career fair, one staff member presented a nuclear science and technology careers booth.
- An NE staff member also participated in an Engineering Day at Buffalo Grove High School in suburban Buffalo Grove, providing some information on careers for nuclear engineers inside and outside the power industry and also providing information about research and development careers, as well as nuclear programs at Argonne.
Contact the Student Outreach Committee
If you would like to contact the NE Student Outreach Committee for further information or to request a student activity, please email .
Visit our website for Students and Teachers:
"Nuclear Energy Learning Resources for Home and School" at http://students.ne.anl.gov/schools/